Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Bookinistas: BETRAYAL

You might remember us going all fangirl over DECEPTION (Book 1 in The Haunting Emma series) last year. There was snark, a totally new take on ghosts and a killer mystery. It was love at page 1. What we didn't love was having to wait AN ENTIRE YEAR for the next book in the series, BETRAYAL. The good news is, it's FINALLY here! BETRAYAL will hit shelves March 1st and you guys are gonna love it. 

Here's what the back cover has to say: 
Emma Vaile is the most powerful ghostkeeper in centuries. Which is great when she's battling the wraith-master Neos, but terrible when she's flirting with fellow ghostkeeper (and soul mate) Bennett. When ghostkeepers fall in love, the weaker one loses all power, and that's not something Bennett can handle. 

Heartbroken and alone, Emma tries to lose herself in school with fellow ghostkeeper, Natalie. When a new team of ghostkeepers arrive-one a snarky teen boy, the other a British scholar-Emma finds solace in training for the battle against Neos. But as the team grows stronger, they are threatened by an unknown force. One they thought was good.

As chilling and page-turning as Deception, this sequel will grab readers and hold them to the last page. No one is safe from suspicion as Emma closes in on the traitor.


Lila's Take:

We LOVED this book and here's why you're going to love it too:

1. Emma is just as fun and smart and spunky in BETRAYAL as she was in DECEPTION. My very favorite thing about Emma is that she never, ever falls into that tired damsel-in-distress routine that we see in so many YA paranormal novels. She never stops kicking ass and she never wallows. Love. Her.

2. The mystery is well crafted with loads of twists and turns. Trust me, you will NOT be able to predict how this one ends.

3. Bennett. *Sigh* Bennett. So. Dreamy. Even when he's being mean and distant he's STILL dreamy. He'll totally make you swoon.

4. There are ghost jocks and they're hilarious. Well, they're hilarious if you like jokes about the male anatomy and really, who doesn't?

5. Emma was kind of on her own in the first book, but this time around we get to see her become a part of a real team and it's AWESOME. One ghost keeper was cool, but a whole team of them? Bad. Ass.

STILL don't believe me? Think I'm biased or lame? Well, check out what Kirkus had to say. Those dudes NEVER lie. And they're kind of mean. So rest assured that if they liked it, you'll LOVE it.

You should also know that we have a raging girl crush on Lee Nichols. She's one of those uber cool established authors who is fun, approachable and extremely generous with her time. You guys all need to start stalking her. Like immediately. Click here to follow her blog and here to stalk her via Twitter. And if you haven't read DECEPTION yet (Um, what are you doing reading our lame blog?!? GO READ THAT BOOK. *Ahem*) Lee is giving away 5 copies on Goodreads. Enter! Enter!


Here's what the other Bookanistas are up to this week!

14 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

The nerve of some people. Taking a year to churn out another novel. Spending months making sure it's good. We don't need good books, we just want more books.

Unknown said...

*must buy deception and pre-order betrayal*

Thanks I made a mental note.

Loretta Nyhan said...

Yay! I've been waiting for this one!

Lee Nichols said...

A big fat mwah!

Thank you for this.

Jessi said...

Emma sounds like my kinda girl. At least the kind I wish I always was. Gonna have to check out the first one!

ali cross said...

Awesome! Thank you!

Creepy Query Girl said...

I remember you guys gushing about the first one. I really need to check these out! Thanks for the review!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

I totally snorted at "ghost jocks." Ha! Sounds like a fun book. Even the idea of "ghostkeepers" seems original and cool. I haven't read the first one though. Not sure why not except maybe I'm lame. Great review! If the tone of the book is the same as your review, I know I'd enjoy it.

Carrie Harris said...

You had me at ghost jocks.

Lisa_Gibson said...

I'd better get busy reading DECEPTION so I'll be up to speed when BETRAYAL comes out. Thanks for the great review.
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

Jeanmarie Anaya said...

I'm deliriously excited and counting the days till March 1st. Deception was my fave, fave, fave book of 2010. I know Betrayal will knock my socks off, too.

Cory Jackson said...

You had me at ghost jocks. :) I need to go back and read the first one.

Shana Silver said...

Oooh I'm a sucker for forbidden romances and spunky protagonists. This sounds right up my alley!

Carrie said...

So excited for this one! Thanks for the tip.

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...