Monday, September 28, 2009

Have you ever had one of those days?

You know the days where the kids (or boss, for those of you who are gainfully employed) are exhausted and screaming. The days where your most exciting hit via StatCounter is from someone searching "sexy Lisa overalls." The days where you're pretty sure that the odds of your agent calling you with a book deal are hovering right around your chances at winning Powerball this week.

Yeah, we're pretty familiar with these types of days and the end result is usually a phone conversation between Laura and I that goes a little something like this:

Lisa: Waiting sucks.
Laura: Yeah.
Lisa: I just want to do something drastic.
Laura: Totally.
Lisa: You know, like delete the blog. Just out of spite for publishing in general.
Laura: Uh-huh.
Lisa: And then maybe set fire to my laptop and throw it through the nearest window.
Laura: Absolutely.
Lisa: Have you done any research about the whole North Korea plan? I really think that if you get stuck in one of their prisons for a year or two, it could really help our chances. And then we can tell those snooty Ling sisters to suck it.
Laura: Oh yeah.
Lisa: Wait, are you even listening to me?
Laura: What?
Lisa: Is that Glee I hear in the background? Are you watching "All the Single Ladies" AGAIN?
Laura: Um...
Lisa: I hate you.

And then I'll see a post like this from JessJordan crowning us Word Nerds, and I remember exactly why we spend so much time blogging. I remember that there are people (who aren't related to us) who actually read our blog on a daily basis. I remember that you guys believe in us.

And that totally makes our day. So, thank you!

And now we must pass along the Word Nerd crown to a fellow nerd. It was a really tough decision because we have lots of lovely and deserving nerds in our lives (thank God), but in the end it had to be Sarah With a Chance. With Twitter updates like "There's something about watching Jason Bateman on a Sunday night that makes the coming week feel exponentially less depressing," and blog posts written by her WIP this was kind of a no brainer. Go read her blog and follow her today. You'll thank us for it.

Word Nerds UNITE!

23 comments:

Jen said...

Step away from the blog. Do not press delete. I suggest you guys go and read your Jessica Simpson post again. It was brilliant and definitely something to keep in mind when you are having one of those days.

PS I linked up to that post today. Hope you don't mind.

Rebecca Knight said...

HEHEHEHEHE! I'm so glad that award caught on :D. You guys are definitely Word Nerds in the best possible way!

Also, I'm now addicted to Glee, thanks to you lot. And now I'm doing the Beyonce hand flip thing in front of my face while humming.. at work.

K. M. Walton said...

I've had a ton of 'those days' and they never seem to lessen in the suck department. I feel your pain.

Loretta Nyhan said...

I think the cool chick word nerds should take on John Green's nerd fighters in a cage match.

Do not stop blogging. Ever.

Jill Kemerer said...

Ha! Thanks for easing me into this Monday!

Sherrie Petersen said...

I remember the day I fell in love with David Cook. He called himself a word nerd and Simon Cowell said that was boring (probably because he didn't understand some of the words David was using!). I love word nerds. And I'm proud to be one.

Now I'm off to watch Glee while I fold the laundry :D

Christina Lee said...

Oh you girls- ****big hugs to You**** off to read Sarahs blog!

Katie Anderson said...

Ooo! I'm so excited to go read Sarah's blog! I hope y'all have a better day :-)

Danyelle L. said...

You two are beautiful word nerds! *hugs* Bosses, even small 3 foot type bosses, can be hard sometimes.

*tries to think of meaningful, yet dire threats in the event you even think about deleting the blog* >:(

XiXi said...

Answer: Yes.

Like yesterday, when I spent eight hours straight writing a paper about Hindu divorce law (Can you think of anything more depressing? Thought not). Then I discovered the Works Cited page of last week's political science paper sitting on the printer, which means it was somehow separated from the rest of the paper, which means it DID NOT REACH THE HANDS OF THE TA. Such is my life.

You'll be causing me undue anguish if you delete your blog. DON'T DO IT. :-)

Sarah Wylie said...

OMG. You guys are the sweetest! I've been called a nerd before, but never a Word Nerd! And definitely not by the cool kids! Thank you! :))

Are you still off carbs? Because I need to mail you a few bags of Twizzlers. Not only will it help with the waiting blues, I also totally owe you for introducing me to Glee! You were right. I think we'll make a cute couple. (And by we, I mean me and Glee ;)

ali cross said...

I loved the 'conversation' that was totally hysterical.

Congrats on the award! And yes we DO believe in you!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say a snarky "thank you!" for putting All The Single Ladies back in my brain once I finally got it out. :)

Oh, I love Glee. And Beyonce's video. And the viral All The Single Babies video.

Natalie said...

Glee is addicting. Your conversation made me laugh. And I do hope you have less of "those days" in the future :)

JESSJORDAN said...

Does this mean I can climb atop a really tall rock (or just the short stubby one in my flower bed), raise my hands in true Rocky stance, and declare that I saved the world from potential deletion of LiLa's blog?

Wait ... no? I can't do that? Damn. I should really start waiting for people's responses instead of treating all of my questions as hypotheticals. I'll go apologize to the neighbors now.

Right after I check out this Sarah person you speak of. And dance around to All The Single Ladies one more time.

JennyMac said...

Glee in the background...hahaha.

I have to admit, I saw a youtube clip from Glee. Oh, I loved it.

By all means, grab the vodka and do not go near your laptop with fire devices.

Tess said...

Oh yes - we believe in you!

storyqueen said...

Okay, so the Glee link you gave was good....but not as good as the whole football team doing it! Best 5 minutes of TV I've seen in a long time!!!!

Okay, girls, take a deep breath. It's Monday. Mondays suck. That's just the way it is. Good things happen on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. (Not Fridays as much because Friday is, well, it's Friday. It doesn't need anything else.)

This will happen. I am confident.

Shelley

Little Ms J said...

This is like hearing the popular kids in class whine about how fat their thighs are while they shrug off a size 2 jacket and reapply MAC lipgloss.

I guess even fabulous people can have bad days.

LYblogLAS and other high school things I can't remember,

J

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Do not delete your blog. The mighty gods of blogdom will smite thee if you do (Glee will be canceled). Love you girls:-)

lisa and laura said...

Wow, I just realized that threatening to delete the blog is the nerd equivalent of a sexy soap star threatening to off herself if her married lover doesn't leave his wife.

Publish our book or lose our blog FOREVER, publishing gods! What's that? You don't give a rats ass? Oh...shoot. Well...um...our readers would be sad and they'd...erm...buy less books. So there! Take that publishing!

And for the record, I'm totally using this rather desperate ploy for attention again. Your kind comments have created a monster!

Christine Fonseca said...

What a great post - I just love reading your blog...LOVE IT I SAY!

Jeannie Lin said...

Waiting does suck! But congrats on the Word Nerd crown. Sometimes you need the little things to get you through.

Don't call this a comeback

So it’s been a minute. Or 10. Or truthfully more like 2,102,400. At least we think that’s how many minutes there are in 3 years, but let...